Saturday, June 19, 2010

Another quick poem on consumerism during economic crisis

I have been learning a lot about some of the economic forces at play that caused the housing and economic crisis in America. It has left me with some strong impressions and rather than attempting to put those factors into a long and in-depth format I thought I would just throw out a series of quick thoughts that relate to the economic picture as a whole.

We the People

broken and beaten
the flat screen television set democracy of tomorrow promises less than we have today
but it is convenient and packaged to sell
“ultra” “new” “improved” “20% more”
I don’t want my mtv anymore
corporate giants eat profits and people with a quarterly bonus
rise up and go shop at Walmart, you have the right to savings
it costs nothing but a sixteen hour work day for a 14 year old girl in Indonesia
feeling frustrated, confused, economically dwarfed and downtrodden…
maybe I suffer from class depression
maybe I haven’t had my daily allowance of high fructose corn syrup
no need to hedge those bets on derivatives spawned by these words, most don’t read and those who do say “that’s nice” and continue on… bargain shoppers have no need to consume what comes freely
educated to death, noose like student loans strangle hope
keep telling me that one day I can be president
make the nightmare of nine to five poverty feel like a dream
but don’t wake me, I have to work in the morning
land of the free to choose from the “extra value” meal while texting from my car
this home of the brave has been foreclosed upon
30 days and nowhere to go

No comments:

Post a Comment